Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Dare I ?

Fast Food. Its easy and convenient and quick. Perfect for a momma on the go with 2 crazy-hungry boys who require a lot to eat! Obviously it is not the healthiest food. I can't bust out a full meal in under 3 minutes at home (or I would!!!), so what exactly are we eating when we pull outta the drive-thru?
I have debated reading this book, Fast Food Nation, because fast food is a big part of my family's diet. Now when I say 'big part', I mean we eat out a few times throughout the week. It is what it is ... save your judging for another day.
I, myself, constantly struggle with a stomach bloating issue that my doc can't seem to figure out, and I know that my food choices play a major role in this. I have ignored the chicken nugget video. My boys love their nuggets and would be two of those kids who didn't care how the nugget was formed, just as long as they had the dipping sauces available.
I have heard that once you read this book about the dark side of the fast food world, you will never eat at another burger or taco joint again. Do I really wanna know what Taco Bell is serving behind the counter? Is ignorance really bliss in this yummy little addiction of ours?
What are your thoughts? Have you read this book? Do you eat fast food? Are there other resources that help you make food decisions for you and your family?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I haven't read it, and I won't. No matter what you eat, unless you grow your own food & slaughter your own meats, it's gonna be bad for you. It's gonna contain stuff we don't want to eat. So I basically just ignore it and for the most part eat what I want. I watch what fast food I eat (burgers from Wendy's ONLY, chicken everywhere else) & I eat it sparingly (once a week), and I don't worry too much. We all have to die someday, why not eat what we want when we're here!

TLF said...

SOunds interesting. Read it and then share your thoughts...

Cheryl said...

I've read this and watched the movie and also watched Food, Inc. I'll be honest...you need to read it. It's really an eye opener and this isn't one of those times ignorance is bliss! It's probably a part of your stomach issues, and it's just plain extremely unhealthy. After seeing the nugget video too, there is no way in hell I'd ever have a child eat those. There's a reason people think it'd addicting. There's always better options than fast food. If you need something fast, try Subway or Panera. Both of those would be much better options. I totally empathize, when you're on the run and you just can't stand the fact that you have to cook dinner, fast food is such a temptation. But there are better and healthier options than Mickey D's. Trust me, read the book and then watch Food, Inc.

Dana said...

I haven't read the book, not sure if I want to. I did watch a video recently my parents had (can't remember what it was called) and it was all about how they process food and it was pretty disgusting to see how what they do to the foods we consume every day. The meat especially. Definitely is making me look at trying to go more organic and to get fresh meat. I am guiltiy of doing fast food stops, especially with Austin because it is so much easier when we are on the go. But I am trying to do better and stop by subway or just prep a pb&j sandwhich for on the go. Let us know what your thoughts are if you do end up reading this.

sprinkles said...

I used to LOVE fast food and ate it regularly. (Hey, I won't judge you if you don't judge me!) It's one of the bigger things I miss about being unemployed.

Yankee Wife said...

Hmmm...Can't say I'm a huge fan of McD's, but it's too close and convienent and well, you know how often we eat it :)
I've seen some of Food Inc., and it's kind of scary how much control the government has over the food industry. It'll definitely give you something to think about...and most likely you'll never look at food the same.
You should talk to Em about Fast Food Nation...pretty sure she watch the movie???

A Fond Farewell ...

Wow! Is December already upon us? Good golly this year has flown right by! I have been a busy girl lately, hence the blog break. Unfortu...