Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Please cover up!

Breast-feeding in public protected by Washington bill
by The Associated Press
Tuesday March 03, 2009, 11:57 AM

OLYMPIA -- It could become illegal to discriminate against women who breast-feed in public under a bill that has passed the state House.
Women who breast-feed in public are already protected from criminal charges for public indecency. But lawmakers want to extend those protections.

Movie theaters, parks, shopping malls, concert theaters, libraries and schools are just a few examples of places where discrimination against breast-feeding mothers could be prohibited.
Supporters of the bill say breast-feeding is the healthiest way to feed young infants. They say women who breast-feed in public have been stigmatized in the past.
The bill was approved by a unanimous vote Tuesday, and now goes to the Senate.
-- The Associated Press

I have no issues with breast-feeding. I personally chose not to nurse either one of my boys, but I give kudos to those women who do nurse. I am totally fine with public breast-feeding as well. It is not uncomfortable for me to see a mom, with a baby concealed under a blanket, nursing in public. It does, however, bother the snot out of me when I see a mom walking around a store, or sitting in a restaurant with her boob hanging out of her top, baby latched on, and NO COVER-UP!! Yes, people, I have actually seen this - several times! There is nothing natural about strangers seeing your boobs and swollen nips! Have some class! Seriously! I am all about protecting women's rights with their children, but I also have the right to be in a public place with my own children and not be offended with an inappropriate visual of body parts that are supposed to be covered up!! There's nothing like turning down an aisle in a store, or eating a meal out, and running into a bare boob!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised that people would allow themselves to be completely exposed, especially considering that there are a lot of easy ways to cover up.

Sassy Cass said...

Amen, sista. I don't want to see that either. I also don't want to explain it to my almost 3 year old or feel horrible when he makes a totally inapropriate comment. Besides they make cute scarf/poncho thingies for that now. Just a good excuse to go shopping.

poopsie said...

agreed. i nursed until hunter was 9 months and god knows i covered up each and everytime. in fact...i rarely went out if i knew he was going to eat. just not my thing...i am a little more private than that.

Anonymous said...

I agree! I'd be far too modest to do that in public! Lord knows there are sickos out there that would like to see your goodies! No thank you! lol

Jodee said...

I have a stare problem anyway- I would be staring just cause I probable couldnt believe they would expose like that and not try and cover up!

Your so funny- bare boob!!!!

A Fond Farewell ...

Wow! Is December already upon us? Good golly this year has flown right by! I have been a busy girl lately, hence the blog break. Unfortu...