I have been doing great on my new road to a healthier lifestyle! I recently started the Couch to 5K running program (oh yes I did!), have been attending Zumba more regularly (2x a week), and have been doing fabulous with my diet. I am not fasting or detoxing; I have simply cut out alcohol, most carbs, starches, and sugars, and have been cutting back on the dairy (homegirl still loves her cheese). I have increased my water and tea consumption, and have been working on portion control. Simple changes, but seeing big results! I am definitely less bloated and down about 5 pounds.
- Super simple to prepare ... with a vegetable peeler (mine is from The Pampered Chef, but you can get 'em anywhere kitchen gadgets are sold), peel layers of a clean squash or two.
- Boil zucchini 'noodles' in a pot as you would normal pasta. Cook times vary depending on how thick your noodles are, but normally take 10-15 minutes.
- Drain and serve with your favorite pasta sauce! With this particular dish, I added a little olive oil, garlic powder, and parmesan cheese ... YUM!
A super simple food swap that has HUGE benefits!
I have also been incorporating protein shakes as light meals mid-day. My appetite has been decreasing a little bit, but I know it is important to not skip meals. Being on Pinterest so much (don't judge), I am always seeing smoothie recipes that are green. They sure don't look appetizing, but their not-so-secret ingredient is a staple in my fridge, so I thought I'd give it a try.
- One small banana
- One medium kiwi
- One scoop of vanilla protein powder
- One handful of raw baby spinach
- Almond Milk
- Ice Cubes
Guess what?!? It was actually pretty tasty and a little on the sweet side!! I drank it and munched on a handful of almonds. It was the perfect meal that held me over for 3 hours before dinner! Plus, I ate less at dinner.
While my 2-mile walk/jogs exhaust me to the point of near coma status once I hit the pillow, my breathing sounds like I am in need of medical attention, and my times ranging 15-18 minute miles, I AM DOING THIS!! My body may hurt, but my brain is saying "You Go, Girl!!"
Have a great holiday weekend!
Check back in next week ... my buddy, Dr. Oz, has some great advice that I wanna share!