Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Acai Berry

I am all about antioxidents ... anything that I can do to help prevent the chances of cancer, I am 'bout it 'bout it. So when I was introduced to the world of Acai (pronounced ah-sigh-ee), I was thrilled to learn of its health benefits!

Now I am sure most of you have heard of this wonder berry as a diet drug ... a way to lose weight fast. You've seen the tiny, skinny people in ads holding of pants that are 17 sizes too big for them as their 'Before' comparisons. Free trials are pretty tempting for those melt-away tabs and pills, and I will be the first to admit that I actually tried them! Antioxidents plus weight loss ... sign me up! Let me tell ya from experience ... these weight loss products are SCAMS! They do not work for the intended purpose they advertise for, and they are about $90 for a 30-day supply. They are not 100% acai berry either. They are usually mixed with another concentrate, such as cranberry. There has been absolutely no scientific proof that acai berry works as a weight loss aid. Please do not fall for these ads and their 'claims'.
This super berry is pretty awesome for all the right reasons! The Acai Berry is found in the Amazon, and acts as a natural energy booster. Acai is highly perishable and therefore cannot be sold as a whole fruit here in the U.S. Now I can go on and on like a book report on this fruit, but I'll just highlight the reasons why you need to start adding acai to your daily diet:

  • Acai is chock full of Omega 3, 6 and 9 fatty acids, dietary fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, complex carbohydrates, and amino acids.

  • Eating a diet rich in antioxidants may interfere with aging and the disease process by neutralizing free radicals.

  • Antioxidants may help reduce the risk of some diseases, such as heart disease and cancer.
    The University of Florida studied extracts and were shown to kill significant numbers of Leukemia cells.

  • In testing, Acai is found to contain the most potent and powerful source of anthocyanins (flavonoids) in the world.

  • Acai is also noted for its healthy fat content as well as its fiber and phytosterols to promote a healthier cardiovascular system and digestive tract.

  • Detoxing and cleansing abilities. Acai may also lower cholesterol, stabilize diabetes, promote heart health, boost energy levels, and reduce inflammation, as well as help protect from neurological diseases.
  • These antioxidants are needed to fight cell-damaging free-radicals that can predispose our bodies to certain types of cancers. Acai Berry is the #1 superfruit with the highest levels. Pomegranates are #2.

The Acai berry alone is not a cure-all for health related issues; it is however, highly effective in stimulating the body to achieve health goals. Acai should be the key element you are looking for, veering away from added fillers, binders, syrups, caffeine and artificial sweeteners. A liquid form is accepted into your system immediately. Capsules and pills often contain multiple binders and fillers, and nutrients are destroyed in the processing. I have used MonaVie and highly recommend it. The only downfall is that Acai products can be spendy. Being that these little berries are only found in remote areas and are highly perishable, the price goes with the availability. Be sure to do your research before buying into any particular brand of product. Product reviews are found all over the internet.

How does it taste? Acai is a bit tart - like blueberries or cranberries, in my opinion. When mixed with other fruits in juices, it is fine. Alone (like MonaVie), you only need a shot glass full a day, so it is worth the bitterness.










4 comments:

Sassy Cass said...

Thanks for the info, girlie! I'm gonna have to get me some of those precious berries. How do they drinks taste?

Unknown said...

Acai is a bit tart - like blueberries, in my opinion. When mixed with other fruits, it is fine, but alone (like MonaVie), you only need a shot glass full a day, so it is worth the bitterness.

Betsy said...

YUM!! Count me in!

Emily said...

Hey April...
I have a website that I buy name brand high quality vitamins for a fraction of the retail price.
It's vitacost.com
They are also on ebates too :)
Anyway, I just got a catalog and right there on the cover it says.
Acai Berry - 32 oz
Smart/basics organic
retail $50.05
Vitacost price $16.68

And they have a flat rate shipping fee for $4.95 for any order.
I don't know if that sounds like a good price to you. I've never priced it out.
Sounded pretty good to me though and I just wanted to pass it on!

A Fond Farewell ...

Wow! Is December already upon us? Good golly this year has flown right by! I have been a busy girl lately, hence the blog break. Unfortu...